Knowing how to check your transmission fluid on a regular basis as well as the importance of this often-avoided task can help prevent costly repairs down the road. All you need to do is follow these simple steps from BMW of Escondido:
- Turn the car on. Before checking the transmission fluid, the engine should be warmed up.
- Locate the transmission fluid dipstick. If you own a front-wheel drive car, the transmission fluid dipstick should be found to the right of the oil dipstick. If you are unsure of its location, your owner’s manual should have that information.
- Remove the dipstick and touch the fluid. Its appearance should be primarily clear, with a hint of a pink hue. If you notice a burning smell or if you can see that it contains a lot of debris, it will likely need a replacement.
- Use a rag to wipe off the dipstick. Then insert it back into the vehicle. Once again, remove the dipstick to check the transmission fluid level. If it does not quite hit the “Full” marking, add more until it reached the proper level.
- Use a funnel to bring the fluid level up to full. Be sure not to overfill it.
If you have any issues while performing this task, don’t worry! The team at the BMW of Escondido service center would be glad to answer any questions that you may have. We also have a wealth of service tips, like how to jumpstart a BMW and more!
How Often Do You Check Your Transmission Fluid?
Now that you know how to check your transmission fluid, how often should you perform this task? It is a good idea to inspect the main fluid levels of your car at least once a month. That includes checking your transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and engine oil. Your owner’s manual may have a more specific schedule for these tasks.
Transmission Fluid Basics
Your transmission is one of the most complex parts of your vehicle. That is why it is important to keep these tips in mind.
- Not all transmission fluid is the same. There are varying types for recent models, manual transmissions, and automatic transmissions. If you would like to know what your manufacturer recommends, consult your owner’s manual.
- Checking the fluid on a manual transmission will usually require a jack to access a plug located beneath the car. Because this makes the task a bit more complex, many Poway drivers turn to the professionals at BMW of Escondido.
- If your vehicle hesitates before shifting gears, low transmission fluid could be causing the issue. However, a more serious issue could also be the culprit. Check the fluid level first, but be sure to set up an appointment if that is not the problem.
- You’ll want to replace your transmission fluid every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. The actual amount depends on your driving habits, type of transmission, and other factors. Check your owner’s manual for a more specific replacement interval.
Learn More About How to Check Your Transmission Fluid at BMW of Escondido
If you have additional questions regarding vehicle maintenance, like how to replace a brake light, where to get a BMW suspension repaired, or how much a battery replacement costs, the team at BMW of Escondido would be glad to assist you. Routine maintenance is the key to a vehicle that runs smoothly for many years to come. Contact us today, or stop by in person.
Service Specials at BMW of Escondido
BMW of Escondido
1557 Auto Park Way, Escondido, CA
Service: (760) 291-2894
BMW Value Service Oil Change
BMW Value Service from $99.95 to $179.95