What Does BMW Stand For?
If you’ve ever seen a BMW zoom past on San Marcos roads, you may find yourself wondering what BMW stands for. BMW is a German acronym for Bayerische Motoren Werke–in English, Bavarian Motor Works. Explore more trivia on the Ultimate Driving Machine the BMW name at BMW of Escondido near San Diego, and contact us if you have any questions!
How Did BMW Get Its Name?
BMW grew out of a few companies that started as aircraft manufacturers over a century ago, in Munich Germany. Here is how the luxury car brand got its start:
- The Rapp Motorenwerke company was founded in Munich by Karl Rapp in 1913 to manufacture aircraft engines.
- In 1917, Rapp Motorenwerke was changed to Bayerische Motoren Werke when Karl Rapp left the company.
- “Bayerische” (Bavarian) was chosen for the new name because Munich, still the company’s headquarters, is the capital city of Bavaria, which is a federal state in southeastern Germany.
- The BMW logo is a blue and white checkered circle designed in 1917 to resemble flag of Bavaria–a blue and white checkered diamond pattern.
- BMW AG is the official full name of the company. “AG” stands for Aktiengesellschaft, which indicates that it’s an incorporation owned by shareholders.
What Does Bimmer Mean? What Does Beemer Mean?
While “Beemer” and “Bimmer” are sometimes used interchangeably to refer to either a BMW motorcycle or BMW automobile, some people do make a distinction between the terms. In the U.S., car enthusiasts maintain that “Beemer” should only refer to motorcycles and “Bimmer” should only refer to cars. In Canada, they tend to use “Bimmer” for both motorcycles and cars, and not use “Beemer” at all.
What is the BMW Slogan?
“The Ultimate Driving Machine” BMW slogan originated in 1974 for North American ad campaigns. The slogan was replaced in 2010 with the slogan “Joy,” but the original and most famous slogan was brought back in 2012 for good.
Experience a BMW at BMW of Escondido
When you are ready to get feel for the new BMW models near Poway visit BMW of Escondido. You can also turn us for automotive questions, like what the BMW warning lights mean, and keep your luxury car running smoothly on the roads.
More From BMW of Escondido
Our Service Center Cares for You and Your Car When we started the service center in the heart of downtown Escondido, we knew we wanted to stand out against other dealerships. While there were other shops that offered services for your car, ongoing maintenance, oil changes and new brakes, our family always wanted something more…
Meghan Galeli is not your typical 20-something living in San Diego. You won’t find her taking a selfie every hour or at Starbucks ordering a nonfat pumpkin spice latte with whip cream please. If she’s not doing her day job as our local Genius (What is a BMW Genius?) running between the sales and service departments…
The 2020 BMW X6 has been turning heads all over San Marcos with its bold style and upscale design, but you might be surprised at just what this sporty SUV has under the hood! The 2020 BMW X6 towing capacity reaches up to 7,500 pounds! This powerhouse is perfect for weekend adventures in San Diego and towing…